At Cross Creek Hospital in Austin, Texas, our goal is to provide clinically excellent, compassionate, and results-based care for our patients. In order to do so, we have developed a series of specialized treatment tracks, including one for the older adult population.
Customized care for the mature population at Cross Creek Hospital in Austin, TX
At Cross Creek Hospital in Austin, Texas, we place an emphasis on providing truly customized care. One way we do this is by offering specialized programming for the various populations we treat. We recognize that different age groups experience symptoms of mental illness and the effects of addiction differently. In the same way, different age groups respond to treatment differently. Our goal with the specialized programs is to provide the care each person needs in a manner that tailors their experience to their stage of life.
One of the programs we offer is a senior adult program. This program offers care in an environment that is ideal for this population. The staff members who provide care in this program also tailor interventions to meet the physical and cognitive needs of the mature population.
Disorders cared for in the senior program at Cross Creek Hospital in Austin, TX
As with the other programs we offer at our hospital, we provide care for the symptoms of a number of behavioral health concerns in our senior program. Examples of these conditions include the following:
- Anxiety disorders
- Bipolar disorder
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
- Schizoaffective disorder
- Substance use disorders
We specialize in providing care to individuals who are a danger to themselves or others as the result of symptoms of mental health concerns or addiction issues. We offer a safe place for older adults to stabilize and gain control of their symptoms so that they can safely re-enter their communities.
Our hospital also provides screenings for dementia. Depending on the level of care that a patient needs, we may be able to assist them. If their needs exceed our capabilities, we will provide appropriate referrals to trusted outside treatment providers.
Services offered in the senior program at Cross Creek Hospital in Austin, TX
Senior adults who receive care in this population-specific program at our hospital in Austin, Texas, have access to a number of different services and interventions during their stay. Examples of these services include the following:
- Medical care: In our senior program, we are able to provide care for more medically complex patients than we have in the past. While we can offer services to those with medical needs that are slightly higher than basic needs, we are unable to provide medical care for patients whose needs are the highest of acuity, such as those who require intravenous interventions, procedure-based services, or hospice.
- Detoxification: For patients who require detoxification services due to substance use, we offer medical detox programming. Nursing staff, therapeutic care specialists, addictionologists, and psychiatrists are responsible for providing this service. Patients can take part in therapeutic programming as they are able during detox. The typical duration of detox is five to seven days, but the actual time frame will be adjusted based on the patient’s specific needs.
- Medication management services: At the time of admission, the admitting physician will assess the patient’s medication needs. When a patient requires the use of medication, they will meet with medical staff daily. Nursing staff will also monitor the patient as part of their medication management services.
- Individual therapy: Patients have the opportunity to meet with a master’s-level clinical therapist for individual therapy sessions while receiving care in our senior adult program. These sessions occur once each week, unless the patient needs or requests more.
- Group therapy: Master’s-level clinical therapists provide group therapy sessions twice a day in the senior adult program. These sessions offer patients a time to discuss their experiences with others who may be in similar circumstances, allowing them to give and receive much-needed support.
- Family therapy: Family therapy sessions are available for patients who request them. In order for these sessions to take place, the patient must first consent to having their loved ones participate in their therapeutic experience.
Process of admissions into the senior program at Cross Creek Hospital in Austin, TX
Our admissions department is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When a prospective patient reaches out to us, they will begin by working with a master’s-level clinician or registered nurse to complete a thorough psychosocial and risk assessment in order to determine if the programming at our hospital will best meet their needs. If the results of the assessment indicate that the patient requires a different type of care than we are able to offer, our staff will provide them with appropriate referrals to outside providers.
When a patient is appropriate for the senior program at our hospital in Austin, Texas, our staff will guide them through a seamless process to ensure their comfort as they begin programming. We will outline our expectations, provide them with appropriate documents of consent to sign at their discretion, and orient them to their unit.
If you have any questions about the services we offer in our senior adult program, please do not hesitate to reach out to us at your convenience. We look forward to helping you make the best decision for yourself or a loved one.