Bipolar disorder is a serious mental health condition in which an individual’s mood can oscillate from episodes of depression to episodes of mania. With such drastic shifts in mood, those with this mental illness are known to endure distress when symptoms of this disorder remain untreated. Cross Creek Hospital offers exemplary mental health care for those who are grappling with bipolar disorder and includes various therapeutic interventions that are designed to alleviate symptoms and arm sufferers with skills for coping with bipolar disorder. Failing to seek treatment for this illness can render those who battle bipolar disorder more susceptible to worsening symptoms and greater dismay in several areas of life. By seeking and receiving care at Cross Creek Hospital, a hospital for bipolar disorder treatment in Austin, individuals with bipolar disorder can find relief from any disruption and stress caused by their condition and go on to lead healthy and productive lives.
Helping a Loved One or Family Member Get Treatment
Witnessing someone you care for endure the devastating symptoms of bipolar disorder can be heart-wrenching. You may notice your loved one emotionally go from overwhelming feelings of depression to mania. You may also see your loved one bear the consequences of their erratic behavior and emotional turmoil as he or she attempts to minimize the impact of this detrimental mental health condition. As a concerned friend or family member, there are several things that you can do help the person in your life who is suffering from bipolar disorder:
- Inform yourself about bipolar disorder. By learning about the symptoms and effects of bipolar disorder, you will be able to identify when your loved one is displaying symptoms synonymous with this illness and come to understand the severity of any symptoms present.
- Safety plan with your loved one. In many cases, those who battle bipolar disorder may experience intrusive thoughts about wanting to harm themselves or engage in risky behaviors. It is imperative that you establish a plan for when your loved one is to come and inform you about these thoughts so that his or her safety is preserved when he or she cannot protect him or herself.
- Research treatment options that are able to effectively care for individuals with bipolar disorder. By determining a treatment provider who can efficiently care for your loved one’s unique needs, you are increasing your loved one’s likelihood for favorable treatment outcomes.
- Discuss the need for treatment and present treatment options to your loved one.
- Communicate the benefit of receiving care at a hospital and convey that you will be there for your loved one for the duration of the therapeutic process.
- Contact the treatment provider of your choosing and ask about the process of admissions. Additionally, it is good to accompany your loved one to any evaluations or assessments requested by the treatment provider as this is a way to show your support.
Finally, if you feel you require more assistance in getting your loved one the help he or she needs, feel free to contact a mental health professional at the treatment provider of your choice. A mental health professional can speak with your loved one and answer any questions that he or she may have and give the professional the opportunity to communicate the benefits of seeking care at their hospital.
By helping your friend, family member, or other loved one seek treatment, you are assisting him or her in ultimately improving his or her life. Once treatment is complete, the person you care for will come to understand a life free from the distress caused by untreated depression.
Why Consider Treatment at Cross Creek Hospital
Allowing the symptoms of bipolar disorder to remain without therapeutic intervention can bring about a firestorm of destruction to a person’s life. Healthy functioning in an array of settings is likely to be adversely affected and there is an increased risk for a number of permanent effects that could result. An individual’s ability to carry out tasks in academic or occupational settings is known to be greatly hindered and interpersonal relationships can experience damage should conflict become ongoing. People who meet diagnostic criteria for bipolar disorder also have an increased risk for substance abuse, as the symptoms of bipolar disorder can become overwhelming enough that individuals self-medicate in order to find false relief from this condition. Lastly, individuals who do not receive hospital care for this illness could develop worsening symptoms, of which could cause greater destruction to transpire.
Types of Treatment Offered at Cross Creek Hospital
At Cross Creek Hospital, a bipolar disorder treatment center in Austin, we are devoted to providing everyone who seeks our care, for bipolar disorder, with the respect and dignity that they deserve. Our all-encompassing goal for treatment is to help men, women, and adolescents improve their overall functioning by helping them to stabilize and to continue their recovery with new tools that they will be taught in the treatment setting. We are proud to be able to achieve this goal by utilizing the structure and processes of a treatment model that combines cognitive-behavioral therapy, experiential therapies, and didactic therapies.
All of the treatment methods implemented in our inpatient treatment center utilize a multidisciplinary focus in order to ensure that an integrated approach to treatment that facilitates increased stabilization and growth is received by all patients. Furthermore, we place a high regard on the involvement of our patients’ families, knowing that their contribution to the therapeutic process is paramount to successful healing. The emphasis of our treatment center here at Cross Creek Hospital is not diagnosis-specific, but rather focuses on treating the symptoms that are plaguing each individual. We are devoted to implementing a truly holistic approach that aims to maximize patient care and help them achieve their highest level of functioning.
The following methods for care may be incorporated into the individualized treatment plans that are given to each adolescent, adult, and senior adult who are engaged in services at Cross Creek Hospital:
Medication management at our hospital: The use of psychotropic medications, namely anti-depressants and/or anti-anxiety agents, are commonly used in conjunction with other therapeutic methods as a means of fully treating the symptoms of bipolar disorder. A patient’s need for medication, however, is always determined on a case-by-case basis. Patients meet with a psychiatrist at least once each day so that the therapeutic effectiveness of any medications that have been prescribed can be monitored and changes can be made when necessary. Additionally, there are also nurses on staff who assist in monitoring medication needs.
Individual therapy at our treatment center: This individual case consultation will occur at a minimum of once each week, but additional sessions can be added whenever needed or deemed beneficial to the patient. Various members of our patients’ treatment teams, including their assigned individual therapists, provide such consultations and afford patients a time to meet one-to-one to discuss any concerns they have, process through various emotions they are experiencing, and to track treatment goals.
Family therapy at our hospital: Family involvement is important in the overall success of treatment for our patients. Keeping this in mind, family therapy sessions are held at least once each week for our adolescent patients and are held on as-needed basis for our adult patients. For the family members of those who are struggling with the devastating symptoms of bipolar, this can be a time for them to learn about the illness itself, while also gaining valuable knowledge on ways in which they can be of best support to their loved one.
Group therapy at our treatment center: Group therapy is a significant component to the treatment options offered here at Cross Creek Hospital. The types of groups that our patients may engage in can include:
- Addictions groups at our hospital apply the 12-step addictions model for recovery to a wide range of self-destructive behaviors, including self-mutilation, disordered eating, and unhealthy personal relationships.
- Journaling groups at our treatment center provide a structured setting for developing therapeutic and recovery skills in the form of journaling, keeping a diary, completing homework assignments, and other writing tasks.
- Education groups at our hospital teach patients about the origin and the nature of the disorder(s) that they are suffering from. In these groups, patients learn to identify problems, form a treatment plan, and work effectively on obtaining recovery and maintaining stability.
- Process groups at our treatment center provide a structured setting for the discussion of issues and concerns that are identified by patients. This group focuses on the processing of feelings, internal communication and cooperation, and participation in healthy group feedback.
- Music therapy groups at our hospital provide an emotionally evocative group setting that is designed to provide the participants with an opportunity to practice affect management skills.
- Healthy relationships groups at our treatment center focus on developing social skills and practicing health interactions. It provides a forum for structured, supportive risk-taking and practicing assertiveness, and the giving and taking of feedback.
- Discharge planning groups at our hospital provide an opportunity for building skills that will improve the quality of life after discharge and reduce the likelihood of readmission.
Experiential therapy at our treatment center: In an attempt to provide a truly holistic approach to treatment, the staff at Cross Creek Hospital offers a number of experiential therapeutic options for our patients using things such as psychodrama and recreational techniques. These therapies are designed to teach patients skills for appropriate risk-taking, internal communication and cooperation, and expressing needs and fears. Examples of the experiential therapies that patients may engage in while at our hospital include:
- Relaxation integration – This type of experiential modality is designed to increase self-esteem, motivation, and energy levels by providing a forum for learning and practicing leisure and social skills, while also developing healthy support systems.
- Physical wellness and exercise therapy program
- Animal assisted therapy
- Art therapy – This type of therapy is used to teach nonverbal strategies for expressing thoughts, feelings, and behavior in a healthy fashion. It is meant to be a technique for individuals to learn how to “tell without talking.” The art therapy groups also involve verbal processing of the artwork that is created.
Continuing Care and Levels of Treatment
At Cross Creek Hospital, we want to ensure that each patient will have continued success in healing and maintaining recovery after completing inpatient care at our hospital. In order to do this, we make it a priority to begin discharge planning from the moment a patient is admitted into our hospital. This plan coincides with a patient’s treatment plan and aims to address any concerns or needs for further, less intensive treatment after engaging in our treatment.
Our caring and compassionate staff will work with patients and their families to determine the most appropriate and effective treatment recommendations that will allow our patients to refine and build upon the skills learned at Cross Creek Hospital. Recommendations will be provided based on each patient’s needs so that the treatment goals achieved while in our care can be upheld and exceeded, decreasing a patient’s need for a higher level of care going forward. Furthermore, a member of our staff will contact patients 48 to 72 hours after being discharged to ensure that a successful transition from Cross Creek Hospital to each patient’s respective community or continuing care center has been achieved.
At Cross Creek Hospital, we will do all that we can to help you or a loved one become well again so that the much deserved bright future is realized and within reach.